Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Eye Glasses - Updated

Hello again out there!
This week's word of choice was actually 2 words- eye glasses. My first thought to tackle this concept was a post-apocalyptic gas mask. I'm not really sure why, but I've always loved the look of classic gas masks.

My Inspiration, I must say, would probably be taken from an hilarious and really beautiful web comic I follow called Romantically Apocalyptic. I love the dull and almost sickly look of the world, contrasted here and there with really great pops of colour. The story is also incredibly entertaining!

GasMask2

This subject to me seemed to make the most sense if sketched with regular graphite pencil on a page of my sketchbook. I have no real process work to show because it was pretty much done in one shot on my way home today. Waiting for busses to whisk me away, I sat at benches and drew away.

After a couple weeks away from it I decided to finish it off with ink, markers, and coloured pencils. My next step I traced over the entire image onto marker paper with my markers and ink

GasMask2

After that I decided to try to blend some of the areas and and slightly more contrast with coloured pencils.

GasMask3

Finally I took a picture of the finished image and edited in Photoshop to improve the brightness, sharpness, and contrast.

EyeGlassesFinal

And there you have it! My impression of the word(s) eyeglasses. A fairly sickly looking gas mask. I was given a great compliment by my sister when she saw it. Her response was "That's cool, it looks like something from one of those video games". And my day was made! Something I designed as video game concept art really did look like something from a video game! “This is the way the world ends Not with a bang but a whimper.” ― T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment